Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Girl Clown Hatchet by Mav Skye | A book review

I love reading. It's my favorite hobby and I'd spend so much more time reading if I could! This year has been so turbulent, I simply haven't had enough time to finish many books.
I've been sick for the last week or so, and I've hated it, but it's at least given me a chance to read! How weirdly convenient.

I scoured Amazon for eBooks (I LOVE having a paperback book in my hands, but since I had the flu, eBooks and digital delivery were a god-send) and found a few I was interested in. I narrowed it down, and I chose Girl Clown Hatchet by Mav Skye. (I first read a book called Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen from my bookshelf, so it took me a day or so to get to Girl Clown Hatchet).

So I should probably summarize it. Chloe is Native American teenager in a tiny town. She starts to see a clown named Mr. Jingles around, but he usually hides from her. No one believes Chloe, but sometimes he shows up with hatchets and threatens her. Chloe thinks she's crazy, or starts to hope he just kills her so everyone will know that she really is seeing Mr. Jingles. At the same time, she's dealing with her best friend being in love with her, and her super old mom having episodes of dementia.

Once I started the book, I didn't want to put it down. It gets scary during a few parts, especially if you're afraid of clowns like I am, and I even shook my spouse awake in the middle of the night to say, "This book is kind of scary!" I received the response of, "No way. Go to sleep."

The suspense is great. My default mood during the whole book was somewhere between "what the fuck is going on" and "who the fuck is it." I really enjoyed the journal entry snippets. I loved all of the characters, even Kara Leigh. I have to say, Joey Parker reminds me of Tate from AHS. One thing I was iffy about was the red balloon--I cant tell what the author's intention was! A nod to Stephen King's IT? Just to see if anyone would notice the similarity? To add a possible connection to Pennywise in future books? Or because she didn't know what else a clown might use to lure children?

I want to say this is a relate-able book, but I truly hope no one is ever in Chloe's shoes. What is relate-able about the book are the feelings and themes: overwhelming fear, paranoia, teenage hormones, taking on responsibility, anger, grief, loss, feeling like you don't fit in, the struggle between being a good person and giving in to anger.

Murder, mayhem, teenage hormones, killer clowns. Mav, I'm dying over here. Can't I pre-order the second book?!
EDIT: NOW THE ENTIRE COLLECTION IS AVAILABLE!


No comments:

Post a Comment